Child Care Council of Suffolk Helps Child Care Professionals
Important Notice: Licensed, registered and "known" child care programs are considered "sensitive locations" where immigration enforcement actions are restricted. Click here for a fact sheet in english and spanish.
Research shows that the quality of every child care program is directly related to the knowledge, skills and attitudes of the adults who work there. Regardless of qualifications and experience, ongoing personal and professional development is critical. Being a lifelong learner is part of every good professional development plan. Our professional development opportunities are designed for adults who work with young children on a daily basis. Improving the knowledge and skills of those who work with young children will ultimately improve child outcomes.
Child Care Council of Suffolk offers early care and education professionals a wide range of classes. Classes meet the requirements for NYS Office of Children and Family Services licensing, the NYS Core Body of Knowledge, and the Child Development Associate Competency Areas. Classes are held in Commack, Riverhead, or on-site when requested. Please review the Course Listings and Click the Details Link next to the class you are interested in to find the course offering location and to register for the class online. Please also be sure to scroll through these Course Listings as well as explore our website to discover the many services that the Child Care Council of Suffolk offers in addition to classes. We welcome suggestions for class topics: please send requests to Joan Rocchetta at email@example.com
On-site Technical Assistance is available to all child care professionals who work in licensed programs. For more information, call the Child Care Council of Suffolk and ask for the Professional Development Department.
Note: We partner with the Child Care Council of Nassau to offer professionals a wider range of class choices. We honor the discounted fees for services to members. To register for classes offered by the Child Care Council of Nassau, you must go to their website at www.childcarenassau.org.
Child Care Council of Suffolk offers a variety of information and services to child care professionals, including:
- Develop and register a Child Care Center, Family Child Care Home or School-Age Child Care Program
- Ongoing training, education and technical assistance
- Specialized training for infant/toddler providers
- Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) educational guidance to help providers achieve healthy nutrition goals for their child care programs and reimbursement
- Refer parents who are seeking child care to your program
- Resources through our lending library
- Information on New York State child care program licensing and regulations
- Develop a Health Care Plan and obtain a Medication Administration Training (MAT) license or registration.
CHILD CARE PROFESSIONAL LICENSING AND ACCREDITATION
Many child care professionals become accredited with the National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC). The accreditation process helps child care professionals meet a higher standard than the minimum required for state licensing. Contact NAFCC for more information on the accreditation process:
National Association for Family Child Care
206 Sixth Avenue, Suite 900
Des Moines, IA 50309-4018
UPDATE YOUR CHILD CARE PROVIDER PROGRAM INFORMATION
It is important for child care professionals to keep the Child Care Council of Suffolk informed about any changes in your program. We want to provide referrals to parents with the most current information on the child care programs in our database.
- Review your profile and let us know of any changes. Accept the disclaimer. Enter your name or business name into the form. Click the search button.
- You also can call the Child Care Council of Suffolk at 631-462-0303 and ask to speak to a parent counselor or email us with your changes.
- Or click here to fill out a complete update survey, and we will update your records.