Home Login Site Map
Child Care Options
When to Start Looking for Child Care
Medication and Child Care
Child Development
Stages of Development
Search for Day Care
Using Child Care
Special Needs
Returning to Work
Money Issues
Parent Leadership Initiative
Membership Benefits
Parents  >  Considerations  >  Medication and Child Care

Medication and Child Care

Most children in the United States younger than age 6 spend a lot of time in child care settings outside the home. Some of these children regularly take over-the-counter or prescription medication. This may include Motrin, Benadryl, asthma inhalers or Epi-pens. Keeping children safe and healthy is the goal of the parent and the child's caretaker. Despite the best care practices, it is inevitable that children will get sick. Parents and providers must work together to prepare for illnesses ahead of time.


In order for your child care provider to give medicine to your child, she must be MAT (Medication Administration Training) certified.


What is MAT?

The MAT course teaches providers how to safely give medicine to a child. The training includes:

  • An overview of medication effects
  • How to give both over-the-counter and prescription medicine
  • How to safely handle, store and dispose of medicine
  • Permission and instruction requirements
  • Asthma, emergency care and special situations

If your child’s program is MAT certified, it will say on the license or registration “This program is authorized to administer medications.”


Non-MAT certified programs can only apply over-the-counter (OTC) creams, ointments, gels, insect repellant, sunscreen and diaper cream. Their license or registration will read “This program is authorized to administer over-the-counter topical ointments only.”


Need more information?

For answers to your questions or concerns regarding the New York State MAT regulations contact the Child Care Council of Suffolk Child Care Health Care Consultants & MAT Trainers:

Helene Aronson, RN at 631-462-0303 ext.144 or Janet Bernstein, RN at ext. 114

In order for your child care provider to give medicine to your child she must be MAT (Medication Administration Training) certified